Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Voting In This Year's Election

I voted for the first time ever! 
Besides High School Elections. And that was only because I was running .... Class Secretary right here! Woot!

I am pretty proud to say that I voted. I am a little hesitant to admit that it took me 7 years to register and vote. Whenever people find out I have never voted they give me looks and rude comments. In all honesty, its not because I am not patriotic or that I don't care. It is because I am lazy. In college it didn't even cross my mind, boys and homework took up all of my brain space. Since I've been married we've moved around. And you can't register to vote if your address on your driver's license is wrong. I tried to vote sometime last year but I turned in my change of address to the DMV too late. Boo. Plus, my husband is the least patriotic person you will ever meet. That's not true. He is patriotic. For Canada that is.

And then there's the whole research thing. Did you know that this election we're voting for more than just the president? I found that out a couple of months ago. So I got crackalackin' and started the process. I decided to be an absentee voter because who actually remembers to go and vote on the actual day of voting (not me!). I got the ballot yesterday. I researched. I read everyone's website and every issue they argued. It took hours.

Not gonna lie, some of those weirdo parties make it easy to eliminate them. I'd go to their individual website read a few paragraphs of their ideas and it was clear I would never vote for them. No way.  It always came down to the democrat or republican running mate for me. It was funny to think that there is always a nasty war between democrats and republicans and even though I may be hard core republican there are still a lot of good points brought up on both ends.

For president it was a clear choice. I voted for MITT. See how proud I am?

It was fun to learn so much about everyone and find out that I even knew some of the people running! Where you might ask? The county fair, of course! And one guy's in my ward.


It felt good to know that I voted using my own opinions and my own values.  From US President all the way to County Treasurer, I honestly do feel like I voted for the right candidate in all of the areas.

Here I am with my very first completed ballot all ready to be sent. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting!