Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Weekend Trip to Wyoming

Ben's grandpa died last week at the age of 95. He had 5 children, 31 grandchildren (I think), and 99 great grandchildren (including Lucy). He lived a full life. Ben says I met him before but I am pretty sure I didn't meet him. He was born and died in Lovell, Wyoming. So Ben left early from work on Friday and we started the drive to Lovell so that we could attend the funeral. Lucy did so great on the 8 1/2 hour drive. She never complained or whined. Her only panic moments were when she needed to go to the bathroom and she had to wait 20 miles or so.


We stayed at Ben's cousin's house who actually has children our age. The next day we went to the funeral, had a lunch-in, and spent the afternoon at one of his uncles' house. We climbed up sand rock. Apparently Ben and his siblings climbed up sand rock every year and carved their names in the rock. Ben's name was carved all over that rock. It was pretty steep and dangerous so the men had to help all of the children and women up and down the rock.


















Later in the evening we stopped at grandpa's farm and the golf course that was built on part of his farm. Ben had a lot of happy memories created there.











I don't fully understand the significance of this bridge but Ben drove across it a lot growing up and he loved it.





We drove back Sunday. It was a short trip but I am so glad I got to understand a little more about Ben's childhood. We documented every room in grandpa's house and around it. I got to meet and understand a little more about Ben's extended family. I'm glad we decided to be a little spontaneous and take the quick trip.


1 comment:

Paul and Shug said...

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. It was awesome to see things that I really haven't seen in maybe 15 years. Crazy. I really should have come. Now I'm sad I didn't go. Glad you guys made the trip.